Thursday, January 8, 2009

CHRISTMAS EVE TRADITIONS

Christmas Eve is a night of traditions at the Schulze home. Every year the evening begins with a meal of fresh Schlesien Wurst. Even the preparing of the sausage is tradition, as it is done differently in different families. In Benny's family the sausage is first boiled and then fried in butter and served with Sauerkraut with pinapple chunks, boiled potatoes, gravy and most recently - Finnish sweet mustard. For desert we have a huge bowl of fresh fruit with fresh whipping cream. Besides that, the table is lavishly decorated with Christmas goodies and cookies that Benny's mom has spent the last month painstakingly preparing for this night. After dinner the program begins. We were "only" 12 persons this year - a relatively small group.

We act out the Christmas Story with costumes and all. This year we had the angel, the three wise men, Maria, Joseph and a baby lamb (not pictured - the pillow laid in swaddling clothes)...



Then many share something on an instrument they are learning or share a poem they have memorized...



Then we sing lots of Christmas carols, ending of course with Silent Night. This song is not typically sung until Christmas Eve.


In the end we open our gifts and enjoy what is left of the evening together, talking, eating, reading, playing games, eating some more or whatever we feel like doing. I coerced my children into posing for a picture (or more) in front of the tree.



I was asked on the post about Nikolaus how we celbrate Christmas [with conflicting traditions], actually though, my mom's family always had the tradition to go to Granny's house Christmas Eve and then the rest of the presents and stockings and Santa gifts were opened Christmas morning at home. This suits us perfectly, so that is how we do it too. We are then also keeping the traditions started in my mom's family and I love this!

5 comments:

Franziska Patterson said...

I love our traditions...I realize when I don't have most of those things on Christmas Eve it just doesn't really feel like Christmas and I get kind of depressed. I need my tree, and the singing, and the stories and ...you know, that certain atmosphere etc. Luckily, Henry doesn't really have any real Christmas traditions, and he loves what we do, so I'll have things my way. :)

Terri said...

The Kids look so cute in front of the tree!
Was a surprise to hear that your family has kept our family's Christmas Eve tradition Quinn.
But it's also nice to know it has worked for your family.
Love you, Mom

Deborah said...

What a wonderful tradition. You all look like you are having such fun together.

I love this season so much and I'm always sad when it ends--I'm never quite ready for it to be over, so I'm glad you are still writing about it too!!!!

Darilyn said...

I think that your Christmas sounds so wonderful. I love that each person can share a musical talent or some poetry. I would love to do that. Thanks for sharing that.

Cheryl said...

Quinn or should I say Snappy!!!!!

I miss you. When are you coming to America? We are still in AZ, you could go see the Grand Canyon. We've lived together before, we can do it again. I love the blog, come visit me at mine (although it severely needs updating). Bennie a Bishop. We are laughing and sighing with relief that it isn't us. I'm sure he is fabulous! He has such a good sense of humor that he would put people at ease. This comment is really long, but I'm so glad your card had your blog on it. My Christmas cards are addressed and will be mailed soon (yeah right!).

Cheryl, Sister Weiss