Wednesday, January 21, 2009

THE CAKE I BAKED BUT DIDN'T MAKE

Last fall I flew to the states on Oct. 9th. I had also been invited to a wedding reception that very night - a wedding reception for which I had volunteered to make their wedding cake. (This is a secret hobby of mine for anyone who doesn't already know.) So I had planned this elaborate 5 tiered wedding cake with alternating cakes of chocolate chip (recipe: compliments of Lee & Lisa Broadhead) with an incredible chocolate mousse filling and orange cake with an orange buttercream filling (recipe: compliments of Sister Smith). Then my husband booked me a flight to the states. I was a little worried how I was going to pull off getting this cake finished before leaving for my flight at 10am. The biggest thanks here goes to Sister Beazer. She is an older sister serving currently with her husband here in our ward and I had heard she had made wedding cakes in a bakery for many years before she retired. So we met and planned how everything would work. I made all the cakes ahead of time and froze them. Then the day before, I made all the fillings and frosting, ordered the flowers and gathered all the other paraphernalia together that one needs to complete such a monumental task and took it to her and wished her the best of luck and thanked her greatly. I knew it would turn out great... and I think it did.

Here are some pictures of our work of art.




This post is dedicated to Mariella, who also tasted several of the cakes I made for Peter and Maren to try, but didn't see the finished product. Since Mariella and Steffen need to decide what kind of cake they want for their wedding that's coming up, I thought I would post a few of my previous cakes...


This was the yellow cake with lemon creme I made for Franzi's wedding.



This was the strawberry cheesecake with white chocolate frosting I made for Julia's summer wedding.

8 comments:

Gusti said...

nice cakes. Now quit making me HUNGRY!!!

Franziska Patterson said...

haha, I know, I'm getting hungry too, especially for our wedding cake. I'm still sad to this day that I didn't take advantage of our wedding day and ate as much of that cake as I could. But, I was too excited to eat anything really. That cake is the best. Mariella and Steffen should have that very same one for their wedding. It would make me very happy. ;)

Darilyn said...

I had no idea you liked making wedding cakes. They are beautiful and sound so good.

lisabroadhead said...

Quinn, You are so talented!

Deborah said...

I also had no idea you did this! they look both gorgeous and delicious.

Terri said...

Wow Quinn,
You have done fantastic things from the one cake decorating class I took in MT & shared with you girls!!
Beautiful Job!! Love you, Mom

Robyn said...

Beautiful!!!

Mama Ingrid said...

Hallo, Quinn,

endlich funktioniert unser Internet wieder -- und ich habe mich erinnert , dass Du mir die Blogadresse geben hast und.....such a wonder !!! Alles sieht so schön aus und offensichtlich war alles "mega"-lecker!
Wunderbar und viel Vergnügen bei den nächsten Torten und überhaupt!

Liebe Grüße

Ingrid aus Stadthagen