Wednesday, January 7, 2009

QUINN'S CULTURAL QUIPS #3 - Burgdorfer Spargelstrasse

Have you ever heard of the Romantic Road, or the Fairytale Road or even the Wine Road? Well, the city we live in is on the Asparagus Road. It has taken me many years of living here to fully appreciate the ramifications of living on this site-seeing road. When we first moved here it also took me quite some time to figure out what the actual symbolism was behind such pictures and statues that are found all over the city.



Today, as I was driving in my car listening to the radio, there was an announcement that made me remember living in Coos Bay and having my best friend named as the County Dairy Princess. I never knew such a thing existed. Such was my reaction today when they asked for eligible women between the ages of 18 and 25 to apply to become the Burgdorfer Asparagus Representative (for lack of a better translation) it used to be called the Asparagus King or Queen, but they have changed that this year. Well what do you know! Add another thing to living along this great road that I was not aware of.


Representatives from 2008

4 comments:

Darilyn said...

So what is the german word for asparagus? Don't feel bad for never hearing of a county dairy princess. Most people even hear have no idea they exist! And are those white asparagus in the basket? Is that what grows there?

Quinn said...

Darilyn, thanks for always commenting and being interested. The German word for asparagus is Spargel. (Capitalized of course as are ALL nouns in German.) The asparagus here is white. I am not 100% sure, but my theory is that since they keep it underground here till they "spear" it, that is doesn't get any color. You can find green asparagus here, but the white is prominent. It is also VERY seasonal. Primarily the months of May and June are the time to buy and find it. The fields here are filled with the asparagus workers, something you only see during this time. You can't even buy canned asparagus soup in some stores during other times of the year. (I've asked - and been told they take it off the shelves till springtime.) Probably more than you EVER wanted to know about asparagus... but I do live on the Spargelstrasse you know.

Krista Lou Cook said...

This makes me laugh so hard! And having been even the Coos County Jersey Princess.... I think every county/ town should have something to make royal.

Franziska Patterson said...

I'd take more interest in this, too, if only I liked asparagus and if I didn't know what was going on. Funny that I don't like asparagus when I'm from asparagus country.