Tuesday, December 23, 2008

QUINN'S CULTURAL QUIPS #1


I have had this idea, with the cultural differences, since summer, even before I actual started writing my blog, but there are always so many things to blog about, that I haven't started yet. I took this picture a couple of days ago though and I promised myself I was going to start.

My "Cultural Quips" will just be little things that I think might be interesting to anyone wanting to know a little more about Germany (or about where I live - since it is the same).

So... Cultural Quip #1:
NUTS, NUTS, NUTS, I don't know why, but here you can buy hazel nuts and almonds that are chopped, ground, blanched and sliced, but walnuts, pecans and cashews are available only whole. It makes all that Christmas baking increase by one step. Not that it is a big deal to chop nuts, but it is a small convenience to just be able to buy them already chopped.

(DISCLAIMER: my cultural quips are from MY viewpoint - all entries under this heading are by no means LAW. For example, I have lived here for 12 years now and have never seen chopped walnuts, but maybe I am not aware of where I could find them. It could also be, like in America as well, that in other regions/states chopped walnuts might be readily available. I speak from MY experiences in the region where I live - near Hannover in Lower Saxony.)

6 comments:

Krista Lou Cook said...

Funny! Does it make you want to buy in bulk when you are in the US?

Serenity Rachel said...

What I'm curious about is why there is a picture of the Statue of Liberty on the bag? Are the pecans grown in the US or something?

Franziska Patterson said...

ha, that'll be interesting to read. By the way you can buy chopped walnuts EVERYWHERE. I think I'd enjoy writing stuff like that, but I'm afraid writing about those things in regards to the USA could be considered bashing, even if it's not. :)

Just kidding. I have no clue. I'm not nutty enough to know those things.

Ally said...

You do know you can throw whole nuts into the food processor and it will chop them, right? Do they have food processors in Germany? I don't want to offend anyone...is this considered bashing?? At least you're doing your holiday baking. It's more than I can say for myself!!

Quinn said...

I feel compelled to answer some of the questions asked here... No, I don't need to buy bulk in the US, I am thankful that I can get nuts here and do NOT need to import them. There are enough other things that I NEED to bring instead. Yes, pecans are grown in the southern states and are very much exported from the US. Peanuts as well for the record. I always buy my pecans on sale during the "American" week. It saves A LOT of money. They are pretty spendy otherwise. Franzi - I can't wait for you to come visit in March. You can show me then just where EVERYWHERE is because I haven't seen them ANYWHERE. Don't worry about bashing Ally, I just don't have a food processor, nor do I have a big Kitchenaid or bread maker or cricut for that matter - lol. I don't like all those things sitting on my counters that are so seldom used anyway, and it all costs money that I have generally used elsewhere. Thanks for all your comments and questions. 8-)

Brian and Jane said...

I followed your link from Darilyn's page. I hope you don't mind. I'm not sure you even remember me. You might remember my brother, Glen, better. He and Darilyn kind of, sort of dated. We grew up in Gold Beach, Coos Bay Stake. It's so good to see familiar faces and find out where everyone ended up!!! I have a family blog where you can see photos of my family- brianandjane.blogspot.com . We are going on 17 years of marriage and have 4 children. It has been an adventure. Some day I would love to know how you had the priviledge of having several of the Brethren at your wedding. :-)Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!!
Jane (Stowers) Sheetz