Sunday, December 28, 2008

QUINN'S CULTURAL QUIPS #2 - NIKOLAUS Day

Did you know that on the eve of the 6th of December in Germany, the children polish and shine their shoes and put them out for Nikolaus to fill with candy and maybe a small present?

This is how my kids put their shoes out for Nikolaus. (They didn't put out their shined church shoes this year - Jeffrey for one did NOT want any other shoe but his CARS crock. I chose to not fight this battle and agreed they could pick whichever shoe they wanted. Tori chose her new boots. She is starting to get interested in styles of clothing and shoes and will occasionally let me know that she needs this or that. The boots were a this or that. Tyler loves his Nikes and Niklas doesn't have any other shoes right now to choose from. He has outgrown everything else and since he can't really wear anything else besides boots due to the weather, I haven't bought him anything.)

This is what their boots looked like filled this year. Generally they just get something really small - like maybe a new Hot Wheels car, a little bit of chocolate (because they get chocolate EVERYWHERE this time of year) a mandarine orange and that's it. This year they got tickets to the new musical TARZAN. (Another blog later.)

And here are the happy children the next morning. Tori is holding the Tarzan CD. The kids haven't stopped listening to it still.

7 comments:

Darilyn said...

What a cool thing. What is the reason behind December 6th? Why so far away from the 25th?

Quinn said...

December 6th was actually the day that St. Nikolaus, a very rich man who gave all he had to the poor, was poor himself and then was made bishop, died in 352 a.d.. It is celebrated today in remembrance of him and as a "forerunner" to Christmas. I don't know for sure, but I think our tradition in America of stockings must find its roots here.

Darilyn said...

Very cool. I can't wait to tell my kids about this.

Krista Lou Cook said...

Cool!

Deborah said...

so at your house what happens on christmas? do they get gifts--from the Christkind? or do you do Santa as well ( kinda redundant since Nikolaus became our Santa...) or just from family or.... Inquiring minds want to know!!

Franziska Patterson said...

hmmm, funny, I always thought you put the shoes out on the 5th, and St. Nick comes at night of the 5th Dec. to the 6th...you sure he comes on the eve of the 6th? I don't think so...but I may be wrong.

Brian and Jane said...

I was just thinking a few days ago that I want to "boot" Santa from Christmas Eve and morning and do St. Nikolaus Day on the 6th instead. I'm glad to hear that the tradition is still alive and well other places! We've never made a big deal out of Santa so it really wouldn't be that big of a switch for the children.
And your children are adorable!! I haven't been reading your blog long enough to have seen other photos. Very cute!!